Hey everyone! Welcome to another installment of the SAHD recipe. Today, we’ll make our favorite Thai dessert – Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango. Better yet, we’ll do this in 5 minutes. That’s right. You can have an awesome dessert in 5 minutes. Anyone can make this. There are some very important steps so pay attention now.
We made a video for this dish and RB40Jr is asking for 10 Likes. Please hit the Like button on YouTube for him! 😉
*See video at the end of the post.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: around 5 minutes
This makes about 3 servings.
*I add these links to Amazon so you can see what the ingredients look like. These items should be much cheaper at your local grocery stores.
You need to get the right kind of rice. I look for a bag with Thai “sticky rice” or “sweet rice” on the label. Unfortunately, I have never seen this in a regular grocery store. You’ll need to visit your Asian grocery store to buy this rice. This sticky rice is more glutinous and it’s a tiny bit sweeter than regular rice.
Traditionally, people cook this rice in a steamer. You can’t use the rice cooker for this because it’ll turn mushy. However, it turns out the microwave can cook this rice really well. I have no idea why, but it does.
To prep, we need to wash this rice gently just once. Then soak it for at least 1 hour. I soaked the rice in the video overnight because I wasn’t able to make it as planned. Overnight is okay too.
The coconut milk is very important in this dish. I used the 8.5 oz box from Aroy-D and it was the perfect amount. If you can’t find the small box, you can use 1 cup of coconut milk from anything you can find. Unfortunately, most brands are not that good. You’ll probably have to try and see how it goes. I like these brands.
- Soak the rice for at least 1 hour, overnight is okay too.
- Cut up the mango.
- Open the coconut milk container before you start cooking.
- Drain the water from the rice. Add new water until it just covers the rice.
- Put cling wrap on top of the dish.
- Microwave for 4 minutes. This step is somewhat tricky. After the microwave dings, check the rice. If it’s a little crunchy and really dry, you will need to add a little water and microwave it another minute. It depends on your microwave. In the video, it came out just right.
- While the rice is heating, put the saucepan on the stove and turn the heat up to medium-low.
- Add the coconut milk before the pan gets hot.
- Add salt and sugar. Go light on the salt. Taste it and see if it’s good.
- Stir until the salt and sugar melted. Don’t let the coconut milk boil because it will curdle. Turn the heat down a bit as needed.
- When the rice is done. Add 1/3 of the coconut milk mixture into the bowl and gently mix it in. The rice should absorb the coconut milk.
- Add the other 1/3 and gently stir.
- For the last 1/3, add a bit at a time. We want the rice to be just a little wet, not floating in coconut milk.
- It’s okay to have some leftover coconut milk mixture. I used it in my coffee and it was great.
- Put some coconut rice on the plate and add mango. If you have any coconut milk mixture left, spoon a tablespoon or 2 on the mango. Enjoy!
Video at YouTube
Please hit the Like button for RB40Jr.
Passive income is the key to early retirement. This year, Joe is increasing his investment in real estate with CrowdStreet. He can invest in projects across the U.S. and diversify his real estate portfolio. There are many interesting projects available so sign up and check them out.
Joe also highly recommends Personal Capital for DIY investors. He logs on to Personal Capital almost daily to check his cash flow and net worth. They have many useful tools that will help DIY investors analyze their portfolio and plan for retirement.
Get update via email:
Sign up to receive new articles via email
We hate spam just as much as you
Originally posted at https://retireby40.org/recipe-5-minute-coconut-sticky-rice-with-mango/